Your favorite interchangeable knitting needle set and why?

My latest favorites are the Lykke sets as I just love the feel of them in my hands and I will admit to being romanced by the presentation/cases/beauty. They are a little fussy as they need a key but I haven’t yet had a problem with tips coming off when knitting (something that’s happened to me with Addis).

Which do you use/prefer and why?

2 Likes

I have several sets, but my go-to needles are my hiya-Hiyas. I find them very light weight, and my steel sharps are so sharp you have to watch it. They are excellent though for lace work and certain other types of knitting. I have a pair of lykke dp’s and they are very nice too.

3 Likes

I love my Addi turbo lace tips. I’ve had them for 15+ years and have only replaced one cable. The “click it” connection is fast & doesn’t require an extra tool (which I would have lost be now)!

3 Likes

I have invested in Chiaogoo interchangeable needles - I have two smalls, one large, two mini sets and extra cables. Chiaogoo (interchangeable or not) are my go to needle. They have nice tips, love the cords, and slide nicely. The most important reason I love them is the ends don’t bend in my hands.

7 Likes

I guess my favorite would be my carbons.

3 Likes

I bought mine from KnitPicks years ago, and still love them. They’re wood, which I prefer to knit with, and really pretty, and the cables are very flexible. The tips sometimes unscrew themselves, but not if I’ve used the little tool to tighten them. And I think one or two, over the years, have separated from the metal end, which is a shame, but I bought so many of the parts that it hasn’t been that inconvenient for me. I keep my needles pretty organized and have many of the little tools, because you get extras every time you buy another cable, so I don’t see that as a problem.

I can’t imagine moving to a different set now, after I’ve invested so much into these. But looking at the Knitpicks site, I see that they have some new colors and other options, so it might be fun to add to my set.

2 Likes

I have HiyaHiya Stainless Sharps in the Large, Small and Sock size sets. I like that HiyaHiya offers longer tips - 5". I tried 4" tips and didn’t like them. I love how slick the stainless tips are and I don’t find the Sharps too sharp so I use them for everything. HiyaHiyas come with a little rubber gripper pad that you use for tightening the needles. It works great and I’ve never had my needles come loose.

HiyaHiya also has great customer service. I had a cable with a rough spot and it was replaced immediately.

4 Likes

Love my ChiaoGoo sets. I have a full set, DPNs, & the Mini set. I love the case, it holds everything but the DPNs (which I seldom use, yay for magic loop). I have used dreamz, knitpicks wood, and unnamed plastics a friend gave me way back. My ChiaoGoo have withstood the test of time. I would like to try HiyaHiya, but would rather spend my money on yarn.

3 Likes

I use primarily Addi either Turbo or Lace. I do have to use a couple of jewel pliers to tighten the connection but that is more about my hands then the connection. Thankfully I have not had a problem with them coming apart, yet.

I do also have a couple of Knit Picks wooden sets but I don’t use them a lot. Got them with some bonus money just because I loved the colors.

2 Likes

KnitPicks metal interchangeable… Inexpensive and work great!!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The only interchangeable set I have is the Denise set. My DH bought them for me many years ago and I use them frequently-mostly for shawls.

2 Likes

I normally reach for my ChiaoGoos.

3 Likes

I still have and use my Denise set too! Something about the tips is perfect with certain yarns.

1 Like

ChiaoGoo are my go-to also. I buy them from HandsomeFibers.com. Great customer support (they have replaced a couple of mine when the cable broke/frayed at the needle joint); free shipping & so far I have always either received a discount coupon with the receipt of each purchase or there is one on their website: https://www.handsomefibers.com/

4 Likes

I love both my Addi Turbo Lace 4” Tips and my Chiaogoo 5” Twists. They both work well. I like the ease of the Addis and the cords of the Chiaogoos. I would stick with 4” tips for the ability to attach shorter cords for hats.

1 Like

My favourites are the only ones I’ve ever had. No name on them, but they were advertised as Karnations. They don’t go as small as I’d like (smallest is 2.75mm) but they were affordable, they work well and they don’t come undone when in use. More details here if anyone’s interested.

1 Like

Hiya hiya sharps! The cords are thin and flexible, so they work great for magic loop. The tips are sharp and they don’t come unscrewed like my Chiaogoos do. I also love that they come in a pretty case.

4 Likes

I also like my Denise set even though they won’t work for everything. I like how easy it is to switch out needles. And, they are inexpensive.

1 Like

I would love to try more, but I could only afford this Needlemaster Boye set. Although I bought them because they’re cheap, I love the range of sizes and that the tips are shorter than most…

2 Likes

So far I’ve only tried knitter’s pride needles, my cubics platina interchangeable are my favorite so far. But I’m disappointed that the chrome is rubbing off one of my tips and I’m not even through the first project with this set. It’s still smooth and works great but I don’t want to see the copper color…