What are you working on this weekend?

Hello all! Happy weekend. I’m working on a Forest Friends blanket by Sweet Potato 3 for a former co-worker who recently had a baby boy. I was a bit worried when I saw sc in the stitches, but it is extended sc, so it seems to be going faster than usual. After that I hope to make a Paw Patrol blanket for a little boy who has cancer. In the midst of that, trying to clean house, prepare for this next home schooling year and also seeing friends here and there. How about you? What’s on your hook or what are your plans for the weekend?

3 Likes

It’s a lot of work getting ready to homeschool each year! My hat’s off to you. I’m done with all that now.

Very sweet of you to make the blanket for that poor boy! I know it will mean a lot to him, and I’m sure every stitch has love in it.

This weekend I’m working on (extremely badly needed) dresses for myself. I’m pretty much walking around in rags at this point, and I know my family and my friends are getting sick of seeing me in the same shabby stuff.

Also we’re shopping for a second car (gave my car to my daughter), which I absolutely loathe doing, in addition to catching up some laundry, and some cooking. I doubt there will be any extra time, but if there is I have three knitting projects going.

1 Like

I’m taking things a bit more quietly this weekend after a tiring week: five busy evenings - either out or we had someone over - in a row as well as pruning an apple tree. I’m twiddling away at a granny square or two, and thinking about starting a sock (don’t tell the waistcoat in the bottom of the knitting bag!)

1 Like

Happy weekend to you too! Hope your many projects will come out as you wish them to! I’m still working on my yellow Angel Wings, and on some small coasters, while dreaming of and pondering different options for a crocheted blanket. I have tons of variegated handspun, mostly fingering weight, but I’m not sure what design or pattern would give me something that doesn’t make me dizzy looking at it.

1 Like

I’m very impressed that you make your own clothes! That’s true power, you get to decide exactly what you want. Some day I might learn that too. Laundry is something I need to do here too, as well as cooking lunches for next week.

@DeborahMakarios, that’s a very hectic week socially! I hope this weekend will be more restful for you. Granny squares are soothing, perhaps that’s what I should do with some of my kilometers of handspun. What kind of sock are you thinking of? (We won’t tell anyone!)

1 Like

Kelly @NaughtCrochet,
Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I am very grateful to be in a area that is very favorable to homeschooling. The local library even has a special resource room for home schoolers and there are many opportunities for home school co-ops. We even have several friends from church who also home school. My kids are involved in a few sports so it tends to get very busy during the school year, but I still tend to find crocheting time late in the evening, or if out and about at sports practice.
Are you sewing your dresses? I relate to what you said about needing some new clothing to wear. I’ve noticed bleach spots lately on mine and so have found a few things to expand my wardrobe. I like thrift shops too. You can find a lot of clothing for relatively inexpensive. I saw a really beautiful crochet dress by liillaborn crochet… perhaps that might be a possibility for next year!
I hate shopping for cars too! I hope that you are able to find a really good car.

Have a great weekend!

2 Likes

Deborah @DeborahMakarios, you must be so exhausted! Just hearing of all of the activity you’ve had this past week makes me feel tired! It’s not so much having company over, but all of the cleaning and preparation for company that tires me out. I hope that you can be refreshed over the weekend.
Your projects, the socks and waistcoat both sound very nice. Look forward to seeing them!
Take care and have a great weekend.
Lee

Hello, Mekone.
I really love the Angel Wings pic you shared. Do you have to just add an edging to it? What a great idea to make crocheted coasters, if made in cotton will absorb the condensation from the cups as well. I was thinking of makng a needle case for my tapestry needles, rather than just keeping them in a small jar. Mooglyblog had a cute pattern so I might make one this morning. I love how practical crocheting can be.

I strugglewith knowing what projects to use with variegated yarn. How about a stained glass pattern, like this one: https://www.cookiesnobcrochet.com/home/stained-glass-square ? If you check on pinter estate or do an Internet search for Stained glass ceochet, there are lots of options. I saw a pattern where you work a granny square in the variegated yarn and then make a lacy cover in bkack yarn and crochet them together. It was really cute. I’ll see if I can find the pattern link.

Have a great weekend.

1 Like

@Mekone, here’s the one square that you put over a solid granny square: http://thecreativepenny.blogspot.com/2010/02/locutus.html?m=1

That’s such a pretty way to use up variegated yarn, thank you for posting that link! I like both this one and the one you linked to in the later post, as an overlay. I’ll experiment some and see what it looks like.
I made wet felted coasters years ago, and they’ve served us well through many washes, but now they start looking a big ragged, so I’m trying out some crocheted ones. They’re bulkier but so far they seem to work OK.

1 Like

You are most welcome for the links. Thanks for sharing about the coasters. I think that I may need a set in crochet!

I’m trying to finish a Ziggy Shawl. I only have a few rows left, but it’s going slowly since I’m bored with the project. I could have stopped after the 3rd repeat, but I’m using a gradient and really wanted to get to the darkest color.

Other than that, it’s a quiet weekend here. We just had a nice swim and I think I’m going to watch a movie and try to finish this shawl. It’s too hot to be outdoors unless it’s to swim.

1 Like

Michelle @knitterlady13, sounds very nice. A cool swim is great in the heat. The ziggy shawl sounds very nice. I hope that you’ll share photos soon! Have a great one!

1 Like

More socks lol. I’m further than this but lazy to take a new pic. :joy:

3 Likes

@hudsonmama, such a pretty colorway! :slight_smile: I have never knit socks… It must take a lot of patience!

I had a work meeting to attend four hours on Saturday. Fortunately, it was in the town where my daughter’s moved, so my husband and I were able to visit her and her fiancé, and we had a free place to stay! After the drive up and the meeting, I was so exhausted, I managed exactly one row of knitting on my linen blend top.

Today, after we returned home, I spun for an hour, knit for an hour, and just relaxed.

1 Like

I’m thinking a forest green sock with toes made of proper sock wool in a dark reddish brown. Haven’t decided yet! I’ve got the yarn on my desk, but I’ve got at least three other WIPs in the room, so perhaps I’d better not - just yet!

2 Likes

Sometimes the prospect of having visitors is the only thing that will motivate me to tidy up!

The weekend has been lovely and relaxing so far, though, with plenty of time granny-squaring by the fire as @TimMakarios reads the latest draft of my new novel aloud. :blush:

2 Likes

I was semi productive … sewed my granddaughter a dress ( not done w/zipper) finished the cuffs on a knitted sweater, soaked and blocked it…did several rows on a sweater/poncho by Joji Locatelli called Lemongrass. To be honest I think I did all this to avoid tackling a whole tree full of apples that are ripe!:woozy_face:

1 Like

That sounds very productive to me! It’s amazing what we can achieve while avoiding something else! In fact, I believe there’s an entire productivity method based solely on having a major-but-not-too-excessively-important job to avoid doing.

2 Likes