Vintage and Antique Needlework

@DeborahMakarios I think I have the brim figured out. If you look at the back of her neck the white starts out around the crown and is built up in front so you can fold it back to make the brim. I think that what was meant. I might have to try this just to see if I can figure it out! LOL

1 Like

I lay awake last night trying to work out those brim instructions (the past that starts with “Count off 20 stitches for the neck”). Would love to hear what you make of this!

I’m impressed! And I will second @MrsMicawber in saying that I’d love to hear what you make of it!
Or if you can dummify the instructions for me, I’ll start saving up for the yarn :sob:

1 Like

I like vintage patterns too, even though they are often very difficult for me to understand. That’s a lovely jacket! Looks like some kind of rather open fabric? So perhaps something that isn’t very solid or bulky. Also something that is lightweight, but perhaps an open fabric will see to that anyway. What yarn did they use in the pattern?

1 Like

What a fun hat! I hope someone will figure it out. It’s a mystery, and those are interesting. Perhaps a joint effort will make it understandable. I’m very tempted to give it a try myself.

Here’s the pattern for the 1864 crocheted jacket

Interestingly, it’s pretty modern in that it is made “up and down” intead of “side to side” like most sweaters and jackets. Also; as for the motor bonnet, 8 ply is #3 dk weight yarn and I would probably use just a good dk baby sport in navy and white.

1 Like

“I like vintage patterns too, even though they are often very difficult for me to understand. That’s a lovely jacket! Looks like some kind of rather open fabric? So perhaps something that isn’t very solid or bulky. Also something that is lightweight, but perhaps an open fabric will see to that anyway. What yarn did they use in the pattern?”

@Mekone That’s just it! 19th century patterns never said anything about hook or needle size or yarn size or gauge. Just take your yarn and hook (or needles) and do - x. Turn the corner it say’s. I’d love to how do you want me to do it?

The jacket pattern is interesting because it does say to use 1 pound of 4 ply. I do know that 4 ply generally means worsted weight. I’ve allways seen this as cherry or rose red with a dark green trim.

I love that violet is described as one of the “most durable colors”! :smile:

1 Like

I see, that makes it more difficult of course. I forgot that aspect of vintage patterns. Worsted weight sounds like a good place to start though, not too bulky and not too thin. There must be so much general knowledge about making garments this way that somehow got lost along the way. I really wish I knew how they did turn corners! It would look great in the colours you suggest!

Am I missing something, or is there no size given for this pattern?

@MrsMicawber Right? LOL But in the 1860’s anything besides grey, black or some shade of white was often considered in some circles “a little on the wild side”. One of the reasons that Godey’s was so popular was that it was so fashion forward.

@MrsMicawber no you’re right there are rarely sizes in antique patterns It was assumed that you knew how to size things to fit yourself.

I thought they might be referring to certain dyes being more fast than others, or maybe to certain colours having a better chance of remaining fashionable.

Weren’t the bright aniline dyes in use by the 1860s? Shall have to look that up.

So I reached out to the gang over at Antique Pattern Library (their yahoo group) and this morning had no less then 5 answers all giving helpful advice and even several websites to consult.

Turns out that size 000 isn’t for the itsy little steel hooks (phew) but is the British equivalent of our size N. Which makes sense since in the early days we did follow the Brits in just about everything; at least until we got things figured out for ourselves. So now all I have to do is find a nice wool yarn to use with an N hook and then comes interpreting the old school instructions!

Oh and @DeborahMakarios I’m going to show them your hat pattern and see what they have to say about that too.

2 Likes

Thanks! And may I say I’m glad you aren’t going to try crocheting a full jacket with tiny hooks. RSI/OOS is no joke!
Question: how big is a 000? How big is an N? I’m only familiar with millimetres, which have the benefit of being the same size all over the world :slight_smile:

They both look very Interesting to this crocheter,
Would you object if I downloaded them myself?
I kinda also have a thing for certain vintage patterns.

No skin off my nose! My understanding is that these are in the public domain, so I have no right to exclude anyone from sharing or using them, even if I did want to.

Thank you!
I come from the generation era of asking permission first no matter what.

I love the vintage patterns because they hold onto that “trade”. They assumed that the ladies would know what size hook/needle to use by sight or touch depending on the yarn they chose or had on hand. I love feeling like I am a part of that “mysterious” craft. …but also, dear pattern writer, please tell me what size tool and yarn to use. :upside_down_face::grin:

1 Like

This goes here instead of in the post i created and now cant delete lol.

Internet archive knitting book:
https://archive.org/details/artofknitting00butt/page/n12

1 Like