Pattern Test KAL: Color Block Afghan

Hello all,

I am working on a modular garter stitch afghan pattern and am looking for some pattern testers;

This pattern uses:

• chain stitch cast on
  • stretchy bindoff
  • picking up stitches
  • garter stitch
  • an ingenious way to reduce the number of ends to weave in at the end

The original (black and brown) version I made doesn’t use chain stitch edging. The newer version (blue and white) does. I find it easier to pick up stitches with the chain stitch edging, but I wonder if those lines compete visually with the other stripes in the project. I’d love to hear your feedback about that. I will provide instructions for both methods.

Because there are stripes in this pattern, there will be some ends to deal with. But I developed a method to strand the on-hold-yarn up the side and still have the stranded part end up with the same amount of stretch as the rest of the knitting.

I do not have yarn estimates, so you can use whatever yarn you like and make it whatever size you like. Like all my patterns, this is designed to be fun to knit, not too fiddly, and is simple enough that you can carry on a conversation while knitting it!

As I am currently working on the pattern, it would be helpful for to have fellow knitters knitting along with me as I work out the kinks.

The original version uses Twin Leaf Lace for the border. The pattern right now does not include instructions for the border. That may change, as I get closer to the end of the pattern test. If you have any border suggestions, I’d love to hear them!

Please let me know if you’d like to test this pattern and I will send it out in just a couple of days.

2 Likes

I also wanted to mention that the pattern is a combination of written instructions and a chart. The chart will let you, the knitter, choose how much detail you want to see. You can choose the show ALL the details (directional arrows, cast on and bind off indicators, etc.), or for a simpler view, you can hide the stuff you don’t need, and just show the basic chart. It’s up to you.

This is a new method of charting and I’d love to get your feedback on it.