Pattern Downloading

Ok - so I didn’t download my pattern library or delete my Ravelry account yet. I think I was overwhelmed. I tend to hoard patterns, but then again don’t we all.

So yesterday I began the task of downloading my patterns and storing them on a 32 gig flash drive. I am trying to organize the pattens but this is going to be a sloooowwwww process.

Is anyone else in the same boat?
:llama: :ram:

3 Likes

Yes, I think I might be a bit of a pattern hoarder as well. I started saving patterns sorted by designer, and I’m also using airtable that someone else recommended (many apologies for not remembering who, I should have bookmarked that post!). Right now I’m more into crochet than knitting, so that will naturally come first for me, and also I’m more into accessories and light sweaters, so those too come first. Other than that I’m just going to take my time over this.

Nope!
Wish you luck🤗

I might have to look into Airtable. I am going Page by Page of my library. Luckily I participated in a clean up along, if that is even a thing. And the goal was to go through your stash, tools, notions, books and so on to clean up your creative space. I also did a major clean out of Rav. But that also means I have had two years to accumulate more stuff, both physically and digitally.

That sounds like a good idea, to clean up one’s creative space like this. In a way, that’s what I feel I’ve been given with this involuntary move too, an incentive to get off my backside and sort out what I want to keep and what I can leave behind and not miss. So far I use a mixture of handwritten records (for spinning mainly), airtable for cross referencing patterns with projects and yarn, and trello for planning and notes.

Are airtable and trello cloud based and have decent apps in your opinion?

They are cloud based, yes. In both cases I only use the free version, and that suits my needs but of course that varies from person to person. Trello has a little app, my husband says, but I haven’t used it myself. I’m not often away from home, so I use my stationary computer for most things.

I found the post I was looking for, it’s here: Project & Stash Tracker
This is the base I started out with, and then I changed it to make it feel more like home (for instance I want both meters and yards). Thank you again, @ChristineAnne!

2 Likes

Thank you for your help!!

1 Like

I started to, but just don’t have time to do it. There’s just not enough hours in the day. If I am to purchase a pattern I’m using other sites.

I think this is going to be a multi-day process. I have 61 pages in my Rav library and I just started at 61 and worked my way backwards. In the last two days I worked my way through 20 pages. It is slow and monotonous but I think it will be worthwhile in the long run.

As soon as school starts, my extra time will dry up.

2 Likes

I hear you. I have 843 pages so commiserate! The count down til school starting up again is almost here too.

1 Like

Yep. It was even a pain to download a couple of patterns I’d designed (Sebastian’s Gansey and the Mosaic Baby Watchcap).

I have some patterns downloaded onto my Macbook’s hard drive (and backed up in the iCloud, and also on a Seagate hard drive), but I’m seriously thinking about getting a small flash drive and storing everything there too.

Funny, when I went onto R to look at what patterns I’d put in my R “library”, I found a lot were stuff in which I wasn’t interested. That could be because some of the designers had come out so forcefully against free speech and respecting diverse opinions, I’d lost my “taste” for their stuff.

1 Like

You have 830+ pages of Rav patterns in your library? Holy Pete - I thought I had a ton. I got about two hundred downloaded tonight. I think I will have to keep chipping away.

1 Like

If you are looking for a flash drive, Staples had a 32 gb for $10. I am trying to organize as I go along like a folder for shawls but inside the folder have it broken down by shape. I am a bit of a nerd. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

That is a really cool idea by organizing stuff that way! I was trying to upload to dropbox, but that is full. :frowning:

I still have some patterns in Dropbox but it doesn’t have enough space.

2 Likes

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Are you on Love Crafts? I think you can download all your Ravelry patterns to their site. I had already downloaded each of my patterns to my laptop or I would have gone that route!

I am not but I will definitely check it out. I ended up downloading all my patterns to a flash drive. I have them by pattern type but searching specific patterns by yardage or weight or whatever is no longer an option.

Maybe love crafts will be set up that way.