Looking for pattern testers

One of my goals with this project and group is to find other knitters who want to knit the patterns in the book, so that we can photograph them and include the new photographs when the book is republished.

Would you like to be a pattern tester? If so, I will send you the first chapter of the book, which explains the basic principles. I will also include the pattern which you choose to test (both the original chart as well as the new and improved chart that I’ve drawn).

As I mentioned in a previous post, I spent the last three years adding these projects to the R database and discussing the projects in the Number Knitting group there.

Please look through the pictures and let me know which patterns you’d like to test. I look forward to knitting with you!

I’ve recently finished recreating the charts for several vintage sweaters.
Here is the Winged Blouse:
Winged%20Blouse

And here is the Evening Blouse:

If you would like to test either one of these, please leave a comment below.

1 Like

Today I did the chart for “Copper Cardigan.” This chart was a bit different than the others in that it was numbered in rows, as opposed to numbering each unit. I recreated the chart faithfully, but still can’t figure out the construction! This is one of those patterns is drafted more like a cut-and-sew pattern, with regard to the shape of the individual pieces (left front, right from, left back, and right back). I know it will make sense if I were to knit it, but until that happens, I’ll be scratching my head on this one. :confused:

Any seamstresses/knitters out there that want to test this? :laughing:

Like many of the items in the book, the shaping is achieved through changing needle size, rather than from chasing stitch count or knitting stitch pattern. The entire garment is made using garter stitch.

This sweater is a good example of styles that were popular in the 1940’s. It’s made of four divided squares, one each for right and left front and back. The result is that “wings” of sort, are on the shoulders. This demonstrates how military uniforms influenced styles.

The first photos clearly shows these wings, as well as how the two front sections overlap. The book says they are to be tied with “Chinese beads.” Anybody know what those are? I don’t know if they refers to a style of bead (maybe a clasp?) or a place of origin.

The second photo shows the sweater on a model, and (presumably because it does not button down the front like a typical cardigan), there was an additional clasp of some sort added at the waist. I can’t tell from the photo what type of clasp that might be, and it’s not mentioned.

Anyone want to test this pattern?

1 Like