Knitter, Spinner, Designer

Hi!

Another from the great Ravelry exodus. :weary: Really happy to find you all! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I hope to add designs to this site, though I might need a little hand-holding. :laughing: I am NOT the most computer-savvy person in the world.

I am frustrated that I don’t currently hold the copyright to several of my patterns and they remain for sale on “R”, but I will upload them as the copyrights revert back to me.

As a spinner I have 3 wheels, one of which is a very old lady! My children named her Molly Wheelsley and my almost twin uprights are Fred and George. I am still a relative newbie when it comes to spinning, but I am getting better every time I get the chance to make my lovelies sing.

Hope to frequently contribute and help expand this community!

Megan

5 Likes

Edit: Im a dork and just realized i typed Weasels and not Wheelsleys. facepalm

Welcome! I love that you name your wheels! The Weasels sound like a lovely bunch!

Welcome. The more you come here the more familiar it will become. It’s daunting at first, but it does get better. I still get confused, but I think that may be old age. :smile:

Welcome! Love it…Mrs. Wheelsley. :laughing: We are a Harry Potter loving family also. We especially like to listen to the audiobooks at bedtime and on long car rides.

I have been wondering for a long time how designers go about copyrighting their patterns and then protecting themselves from piracy once the patterns are published. It makes publishing my own designs daunting. I have lots of ideas I’d like to share, but hesitate because I do not understand copyrighting.

Update: So, I’ve been up since 3:30am with a sick child and decided to do some research on copyright laws while I am sitting here. What I learned is…Original artistic works (in this case knitting patterns) are automatically the copyrighted property of the designer in the US as soon as they are created. I can add the word “copyright” or © with the date and my name to my knitting patterns to let users know who owns the pattern and when it was published. Many designers also add usage restrictions, which may or may not be enforceable. If the user has any doubts, it is always best and courteous to check with the designer before using the pattern for anything other than the stated use. Registration of patterns with the US copyright office is optional and has a fee, but it is required in order to take legal action against theft.

1 Like

@trish_knits, You are absolutely correct regarding copyright. I have most of my String Art books registered with the Library of Congress in Washington, DC. In order not to pay for each one separately, I put several of them in volumes so they would fall under just one payment. I believe they need at least 3 hard copies sent to them of the pattern or books. Things may have changed since I did my last ones, but that’s what it used to be. It’s hard putting your patterns out there for others to steal, but that’s the risk you take when you do. I’ve even had my photos stolen and found them on places like Alibaba and DHgate. They’ve since been removed, but it’s such a long process to prove they are your photos. Keep any ORIGINAL photos you take as that is what they use to determine whether the actually belong to you or not. Just some helpful hints in case you decide to put your patterns out there.

1 Like

Registration of patterns with the US copyright office is optional and has a fee, but it is required in order to take legal action against theft.

It is only required to win damages (up to 150K per infringement). You can still go after them but its harder and requires you to do a lot more proving and I believe the max is around $750. So not worth it in most cases.

All my photos are scaled to 900px max per side, using png format and loaded on DVD disk. That is what I send to the copyright office. Note, I dont publish any photos until that disk has been mailed off. :slight_smile:

Since, I havent published a pattern yet, makes me wonder if I could get away with putting it on a DVD in text, image & video format and send that off… Hmmmmm. For me its a non issue as I plan to release anything I design as CC. The internet gave me the ability to love this hobby and I feel the need to give back.

1 Like

You could go to the Library of Congress on the Internet and look at the form and see what they require now. I didn’t have the CD/DVD option when I did mine. They wanted hard paper copies of the books.