Greetings from Virginia beach!

Hello!

I’m Emily from Virginia Beach, Virginia. I WAS eetnyy1103 on Ravelry, now I’m 340597, which is my rav number.

I’m a political centrist - my positions on issues fall on both sides of the political spectrum and I don’t belong to any specific political party. I did voted for neither Trump NOR Clinton and will probably vote for the Inanimate Carbon Rod again in 2020. (I used to write in my Grandpa, but he passed in 2017 and I think writing in a deceased citizen is probably as bad as voting as one).

I think rav’s policy is hypocritical, libelous, prejudiced and discriminatory. I understand it’s their right to censor whomever they want, just as it’s my right to walk away. I do find it highly offensive to label anyone who supports the president as a supporter of White Supremacy. They are calling my mother a supporter of white supremacy. My mother, who over 30 years as a speech therapist and guidance counselor in public schools helped thousands of children of all races, religions and backgrounds to learn, grow and feel loved. She was recognized as “Teacher of the Year” during one of the years when the community took in hundreds of Sudanese refugees. My mom helped the children adjust to their new lives, listened to their stories and fears, and helped them feel safe in their new surroundings. White supremacist indeed.

I’ve been knitting since Thanksgiving 2008 and have dabbled in crochet (via the Smithsonian’s Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef project in the early '10s) and desperately want to learn to tat.

I have a corgi, River (@riverthecorgi on insta and facebook) and a corgi mix (maybe?) named Nacho - he was a Texas street dog and now enjoys being pampered and spoiled.

I’m originally from Virginia Beach, but did my time in the cesspool known as Metropolitan Washington DC - specifically Alexandria, VA. I consulted at US Citizenship and Immigration Services, ICE and FEMA, temped at the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and worked at a medical board non profit. It eventually took its toll on my mental health and I was able to escape the rat race and move back to the easy going ways of beach life.

17 Likes

Hi Emily! I think we are all going to be very happy here. Old doors close, new ones open!

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing about your mother. I love hearing stories of those who have touched so many lives in positive ways.

Glenda

4 Likes

Thanks all!
And I’ve just now been restricted from ravelry for 10 days, so I can’t even go back to reply to the girl who replied to me saying that ravelry’s new policy didn’t have anything to do with white supremacy, but with Trump’s policies in general. Head against wall

4 Likes

I was just restricted from that other platform for 30 days. And then once my ability to interact was disabled, the same person who got me restricted went back and commented at me on some of my earlier posts - knowing full well that I had been prevented from replying to her about anything she might choose to say.

It’s okay. I don’t need to play in their sandbox if they do not want me there.

5 Likes

Good to know I’m not the only hyperbolic crocheter here!

2 Likes

Hi Emily and welcome! Your Mom sounds like a really special person. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I think you’ll like it here a lot! It’s definitely a different place entirely. :wink:

2 Likes

The thing I miss most living in North West MI…beach life. I’m trying to bring it here though. Welcome. Your mother sounds amazing. I served in the Army. I have half Korean nieces and nephews, my husband’s grandmother was Cherokee (well still is now resting with the Lord) and I have biracial cousins as well as cousins who are homosexual and I love my whole family and friends, but even to members of my own family, even my mom, I am a stormtrooper, a NAZI sympathizer and a white supremacist. I know something of what your mom may be feeling. Hugs from me.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome! I’ve dabbled with Hyperbolic crochet with a favorite dishcloth pattern. It makes me smile how it looks like flat disc til about row 8…then transforms to a warped record by the next row.
I’m not a Trump fan really, but I deeply resent the WS label if I support him as Prez. …or even if I defend the right of others to do so. Freedom of speech and conscious is a deeply fundamental right of all US citizens. Too many of us have loved ones and ancestors who fought for that right and shed their own blood.

5 Likes

Thank you for your kind words. And your support for all rights of everyone to not be bound to one way of thinking.

5 Likes

Hello Corgmom,
I grew up in Maryland, spent 4 years active duty Navy then almost 4 in the reserves during Desert Storm…but I lived in Virginia Beach and Chick’s Beach while serving at Boone Clinic.
I am now living in Oklahoma.
I am happy to be here, wish things didn’t go as they did at Ravelry, cannot stand hypocrisy.
Unfortunately I left and do not have my patterns, and have not tried to retrieve anything…are they gone?
I am hoping to meet new people and carry on with a community of crafters.

3 Likes

Hey there!
You didn’t live far from where I lived. We were in Thoroughgood from 83-93 (I was in elementary school) then 99-03 (my college years). My parents still own our house there and rent it out to foreign NATO families. I think there are Norwegians in there now.
My grandparents lived in Lynnhaven Colony,b within walking distance of the Duck In (RIP).
I’m super familiar with Boone clinic, mostly the pharmacy as that’s where we got most of our prescriptions. Being so close to Little Creek, we did all of our shopping there. And I was on the tball team there.
Now I live in Windsor Woods, smack dab in the middle of the city (Rosemont and South plaza trail). My parents live in Pungo, because it’s not just for Farmers and strawberry festivals anymore.
My sister lived down at Red Mill for 10 years but just moved to Little Neck, right on one of the little fingers of Lynnhaven inlet. We’re back in the same zip code since she went to college in 92! Lol.
Anyway. Glad you’re here, too! I admit I haven’t been very active here. A lot going on at the moment (mainly recovering from back surgery).
Have a good one! Happy crafting!

3 Likes

Welcome! I’m also an escapee from the Beltway Insane Asylum (apologies to sufferers of mental illness).

The hostility and virulence voiced by those who run R, like those who wear ski masks, throw rocks and Molotov cocktails instead of peacefully protesting, actually hurt their alleged causes. They harden division. They encourage an “Us versus Them” mentality among their supporters. So much for E Pluribus Unum and the cause of world peace.

Well, I am depressing myself (and perhaps you and others. I apologize). Speak as you wish. Work your fiber crafts with joy.

Pungo. Red mill. Gosh. A sister in law lived there. Ah, The Beach (for those who don’t know, we Virginians know what strand of sand this must be)! Please eat some oysters for me, in September. And wave at Mount Trashmore. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ll delegate the Oyster eating due to allergies, but I’ll definitely wave at trashmore since I live right around the corner. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi, Emily! I live in central VA. I’m also a former federal employee and left because of the stress. So glad to meet you!

1 Like

Salutations from Hampton Roads; currently near Suffolk (gotta love military!). Didn’t vote for either one as well.

1 Like