Greetings from the Sand Hills area of NC

Hello!

I just deleted myself from another site online. Hoping to see this one grow and become a new favorite place to visit. I’m a sixty something happily married man with a super fantastic kiddo, who is in college making a more educated self.

I grew up in a large family out west where making your own clothes, quilting, knitting, etc were part of the daily norm. I’ve been married to my wonderful wife for 33+ years so far. We have one child that took us 15 years to have. The college bills keep coming in, and there are a number of years to go. My family is my favorite part of life. I also enjoy lots of hobbies, which include knitting, sewing, quilting, crocheting, cooking, canning, grinding our own grain, Big Green Egg smoking & grilling, RVing, photography, and more.

After my multiple heart surgeries and other medical problems, I am not as active as I use to be. Still, I plug along doing my thing, just at a slower pace these days.

Just a side note… My wonderful wife could not be less interested in knitting, sewing, quilting, etc. She loves to support me in my interests though, and is a big time enabler. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

8 Likes

Welcome!
A supportive spouse is the best and I’m so glad you have such a doll standing with you.
I hope you find good friends and fun here. :smile:

2 Likes

Welcome! It sounds like you have quite the homestead!

1 Like

Thank you very much. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

An enabling spouse! How fortunate you are!

College is outrageously expensive! We were very fortunate. Our daughter (she’s also an only child) won a scholarship, but that didn’t cover room and board, books, and the cute little category called “incidentals.” Whew. Now she’s engaged (so very happy - her fiancé is a sergeant in the Rangers and at the top of his class in law school (where he’s studying for a JD/MBA). Oh well, so we’ll keep working to help pay for the wedding!

Keep doing all of those hobbies. I’m sure they’re great for your heart!

4 Likes

Congrats on your daughter. Our son is our only one too. Thankfully he earned the Presidential scholarship for academics which was $108k, several music scholarships worth $64k, an Honors scholarship worth $16k, and several smaller scholarships. That still leaves us owing about $16k per semester for the rest of it. He has worked hard to earn what he has, and will continue to work hard to keep these things. He’s a Double Major and plays in the schools marching band and in the wind ensembles. The young man is busy everyday, and is enjoying it all too.

3 Likes

He sounds like an amazing young man!

I can’t believe what college costs today. It’s ridiculous. I’m glad my three graduated twenty years ago. Yikes.

1 Like