Gluten Free Cooking and Baking

Any other gluten free’rs out there? How did the Fourth of July go for you?

3 Likes

Yes, I’m trying. I can see a difference when I do. We were on vacation all last week, so it’s definitely a struggle when we’re away from home. I ended up eating a lot of fruit.

1 Like

My husband and daughter eat gluten free. They do not have celiacs but it is a migraine trigger for my husband and gives me daughter severe stomach aches.
It has been about three years now for both of them so it is rather run of the mill for us at this point. We celebrated 4th of July at a friend’s house with a cook out. So they ate their dogs/burgers minus the buns, skipped the b-day cake, etc. Just the usual.
My daughter says her favorite gf bread though is what I make at home :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m Gluten free Dr orders, can’t even have gluten in makeup I get severe allergy reaction :smirk:

2 Likes

Caroline, what makeup do you use?

1 Like

Yep, non-celiac gluten sensitive person here! I’m 100% gluten free and the 4th was no problem (probably helped that we stayed home). :grinning:
Re baking in general, I tend to avoid gf flour blends as they’re often very starchy. If I do bake something I like to grind up certified gf oatmeal into oat flour and use that. Made a delish mulberry-walnut streusel coffee cake this morning!

2 Likes

Ya know we’re going to need someplace to stow recipes because I want to see that one!

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking I should blog the recipe. But if we get a recipe section here I’ll happily contribute!

2 Likes

I’m using Tarte Coametics you can get it at Sephora and ULTA :blush: my mom told me about Red Apple Lipstick also I might try it some time but it can only be purchase online :blush:

1 Like

I would love to see some gf baking recipes, especially bread. I’ve tried too many bad recipes.

2 Likes

Forgot to tell you that Ella+Mila has beautiful Gluten free eyeshadow (haven’t tried them yet) they can only be purchase online :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Lovestostitch This one is easy and realy good - also great for bruscheta

https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2017/09/dutch-oven-bread-recipe.html

2 Likes

What kind of flour do you use?

1 Like

@Lovestostitch I use either Cup4Cup or Better Batter for yeast breads and pastries They just seem to have more structure? I guess you could say. I do my own g.f. flour blend for non yeasted stuff like cakes cookies pancakes ect.

1 Like

Have been gf for six years now. Non-celiac version. Also have a problem with corn and soy. Stayed home for the 4th. Most gf bread just does not work for me so I just do without. Miss it sometimes but it just is not worth the stomach and arthritis pain.

2 Likes

Yes, I have been gluten free/grain free and low carb (for medical reasons) for just over a year. Thankfully, I really like eating this way and do not find it difficult.

3 Likes

The TEARfund One Helping charity cookbook has THE best gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe, if you can track down a copy. Plus it’s dairy-free if you use dairy-free dark chocolate.

1 Like

Fun thread!

My entire family is gluten free, some dairy free, plus so is some of our extended family. Our entire family’s journey started with our middle dd about 10 years ago. I was also off eggs, high sulfur and high histamine foods for many years. Things are much better labeled now than then, which is grand when you are trying to avoid multiple things.

If no one has heard if it, the cookbook called The Healthy Gluten-Free Life by Tammy Credicott is awesome. It covers multiple allergens. Everything I have made from it has been incredible even on the first try. I prefer this over my Bette Hagman and Carol Fenster books. I have quite a library after 10 years of dealing with this, and Tammy’s book is the most reached for.

So the groups section is up and running Would you all want a Gluten free cooking and baking group? We could share stories give advice as needed and swap recipes.

@MrsMicawber The groups section is now up. I’m thinking of starting a GF Cooking and Baking group. Have to see how many people are interested. At least we’d have some place to stow recipes

3 Likes