Free Test Knitter Group?

Just wondering if there is/are plans for a group for test knitters like there is on the other site. I have some patterns that I want to formally write up and get tested before I offer them for sale.

I don’t know much about the legal implications of having such a group … Any ideas?

Thanks!
Greta

Well, if you put “Copyright 2019, Your Name, All Rights Reserved” and, if you wish, “For Non-Commercial Use Only,” at the bottom of your pattern, that will put your test knitters on notice that the pattern belongs to you, and that you don’t want the products from its use to be sold. (Obviously insert your name, not “Your Name” haha).

I think test knitters are big boys and girls and know that by its very nature of being tested, a test pattern might have glitches - so therefore they are forewarned not to expect perfection. Many test knitters just love to “be the first” to use a pattern, and don’t mind a bit of error or confusing writing; in fact, they enjoy helping to correct any mistakes and to clarify what’s written.

IANAL (I am not a lawyer) but I believe “All Rights Reserved” technically prohibits the making of ‘derivative works’ e.g. knitting up the pattern!

You could always use a Creative Commons license to make it clear just what rights you’re sharing and which you aren’t. Perhaps a CC BY-NC-SA license?

The CC site has explanations of all the licenses, or you could read this post aimed primarily at authors - but which also mentions knitting patterns. (Disclaimer: I wrote it, and I wasn’t a lawyer back then either!)

2 Likes

I am a lawyer. I worked for a few small computer firms before I retired (you may have heard of them - Oracle and IBM) Because the phrase “All Rights Reserved” alludes to the copyright law of all jurisdictions but doesn’t expressly cite any, a US designer should proceed the phrase with “Copyright [year of design creation]”. Ideally (but this costs time and money) the designer would file the design with the US Copyright Office to document his/her creation of the pattern. See https://www.copyright.gov/fls/sl35.pdf
At a minimum, if the designer doesn’t want to go through this rigmarole (and risk allegations of copyright infringement by another designer!) the designer should sent him/herself a copy of the pattern via certified mail, return receipt requested, to document that the pattern exist as of that date. The designer should leave the letter unopened unless and only until (s)he files a lawsuit against an infringer. (Yeah, this is pretty heavy stuff).

But a trip to the Creative Commons site is a good idea. It won’t offer protection, however, unless the work is copyrighted. See https://www.workmadeforhire.net/the-rest/whats-the-difference-between-copyright-and-creative-commons/

2 Likes

That’s a good point: that Creative Commons is an add-on to copyright, not a substitute for it.

I’ve also heard it suggested that emailing a copy of your work to yourself or someone else can be a form of “poor man’s copyright” (with lower postage) as the email is marked as having passed through e.g. gmail’s servers at a particular time.

We used it frequently for small matters we didn’t think worthy of the filing expenditure. Also, as I implied, when a submission to the Copyright Office is made, it creates a risk that the copyright reviewer will decide the proposed creation is merely derivative and not worthy of copyright. An existing copyright holder might then learn of the filing and declare the proposed work to be infringing. The existing copyright holder might sue, or demand the payment of royalties from the new filer.