Does Anyone Sew?

I hope I put this in the right place. If I didn’t, hopefully someone will move it for me!

Does anyone here sew clothes? What brands of pattens do you like? I’m currently working on Violet by Colette Patterns. I did a trial version out of cheap fabric, and it’s adorable!

9 Likes

I sew a lot, but most of my work is patterns I’ve drafted myself. When I do use a commercial pattern it’s usually Butterick or McCalls. Back when I was single and working full time I had a side-hustle sewing wedding gowns, which were usually Vogue patterns, but a couple of my clients chose simpler patterns. I do not miss sewing wedding gowns.

I checked out Violet, and that is one cute blouse! What are you working it up in this time?

5 Likes

I’m using a Japanese woven cotton I got with a gift certificate. It’s heavenly to work with. I’m impressed that you draft your own patterns!

2 Likes

It’s not that difficult if you’ve been sewing for any length of time, and they fit much better than an altered commercial pattern. You need a few tools, like a couple of rulers (one short and one longer, like a yardstick) a French curve, a hip curve, pencils, measuring tape, and patience. Oh yes, you’ll want cheap paper for starting out and then when you get the fit perfected you might want to redraw the pattern onto Swedish tracing paper (available online).

There are two books I recommend; 1) The Pattern Making Primer by Jo Barnfield and Andrew Richards, and 2). Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina. The second one I got used on Amazon for cheap.

Fast Fit has been really helpful for me lately, because my daughter has “grown up”, and is much curvier than I ever dreamed of being. I’ve had to redraft her patterns three times in the past 3 years (whew!!). Last week I took her regular dress pattern and re-drafted it into a princess seamed dress. It looks terrific on her and uses slightly less fabric than just a regular sheath or shirt-dress.

One more thing–there is LOTS of help on YouTube–just search “drafting long sleeves” or whatever part you’re working on. I love You Tube. You can learn just about anything on there!

Edit; spelling

3 Likes

Not beyond hemming pants or making a lining for a crocheted bag. I really want to learn, but I have too many hobbies and too few hours in the day. :frowning:

3 Likes

I used to be a professional came decorator. I do not miss wedding cakes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the pep talk. I use Swedish tracing paper to trace out patterns I want to alter. I have to take a small bust reduction on Colette patterns. Sigh. I also have all those tools except the yardstick. I’d like to draft a long sleeve to go on Violet. Do you think I could do that if I checked out YouTube?

1 Like

Most certainly! Go for it! :grinning::+1:

1 Like

I have in the past. I haven’t had a lot of time for sewing the last few years.

In the fall we had flooding in the basement which is where my sewing space is, and I’ve been working ever since on going through things downstairs and on getting repairs made, so my sewing room is still kinda crazy and difficult to work in because it’s full of extra furniture and boxes from the room that is still under construction. I haven’t had time to dig the sewing machine out for more than the bare necessities - mending and a few small projects.

I’ve mostly used the traditional paper patterns. Simplicity and McCalls and such. I also got into making my own patterns for a bit, which in some ways was easier because I could make sure the pattern really fit ME rather than being designed for the “average” body.

2 Likes

I have that same problem, especially during the school year. (I’m a teacher.)

2 Likes

Sewing as the first craft my Mother taught me. Sometime between 4th and 6th grades. Used to sew on and off. Have not touched the machine for several years now.

2 Likes

I sew and just downloaded that pattern from Colette!

1 Like

I sew a little bit, though I’m hoping to advance to sewing my own clothes, since I find it almost impossible to find what I want in the shops.

Last year I did Colette’s Wardrobe Architect series, posting my progress monthly on my blog. I do recommend it for anyone who isn’t certain what they want in their wardrobe and doesn’t want to find out by pure trial and error!

A recent project is this DPN/hook case - it was a bit of a drama, but I’m very pleased with the finished result.

3 Likes

I learned to sew in Jr. High home economics. Back in those days we had to actually sew clothes.

2 Likes

Please let me know what you think of it!

1 Like

It’s hard to find what you want in stores. I sometimes order dresses from eshakti.com, since they will make them to your measurements, but they can be pretty expensive.

1 Like

I love the idea of garment sewing… I’m not so great at the execution of it. I’d love to so some of the retro patterns & I have bought several of them but where I know I will have issues is the bust… it’s hard to find patterns that are large enough in the bust for me.

I do quilt! I LOVE IT! Last Christmas everyone in the immediate family got a new quilt - now I need to make one for DH as I just got my first (the first quilt that is actually for me) back & the one I made him previously he finds isn’t quite long enough

2 Likes

You would need to make a full bust adjustment.
https://www.sewalongs.com/sorbetto/bust-adjustments

Bear in mind that although Colette makes their patterns in a C cup, most patterns are a B cup. I’d trace the pattern onto other paper, then cut that up, so you don’t lose the pattern if something goes wrong.

2 Likes

thanks :smile: that is one thing I like with the Connie Crawford Patterns that Butterick has, many of them include adjustments for various bust sizes which is great!

2 Likes

Too bad you don’t live near me–I love to teach sewing.

2 Likes