Christmas Crocheting

I enjoyed the post on Christmas knitting, so though I would ask the same thing here… What are your plans for Christmas crocheting? Could be for Christmas decorating, or for Christmas gifts, etc. I’m still undecided as to what I’m making but a few years back I purchased some really cute animal scarves here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeesKneesKnitting?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=77751751. My family is quirky like me, so I thought they may like them. I guess it depends on if I have the time though. If that doesn’t happen, I may just make a family gift, like a crocheted nativity or something like that…

I’m going to make some potholders for my mum, and I’m so glad she mentioned this now, and not mid December as I’m a slow crafter. I also want to make a hat, but that’s more a bonus if it gets finished. I like the idea of quirky animal scarves!

2 Likes

I plan to make some snowflake ornaments for one family. Thanks for reminding me.

1 Like

@Mekone, Potholders are wonderful gifts. Several years ago my sister made me two and I still use them frequently! A good, thick potholder is such a great thing to have!!!

2 Likes

@HelloKitten, that sounds wonderful-- snowflakes that last well beyond Christmas! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear it! I confess I still struggle to get mine symmetrical but I figure they might still be useful, even if the edges look a bit crooked.

2 Likes

Nothing that a good blocking won’t solve (trust me, I understand!). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should make some new potholders. I have a lot of cotton I need to use up. I hope everyone knows not to use acrylic. It will melt.

1 Like

I always prefer wool, myself, having set a cotton potholder on fire as a child!

1 Like

Yes, it does melt! I once got a pair of quilted potholders, very beautiful, but the thread must have had some synthetic content, because that melted and scared me a lot! I should have known they were just meant to be decorative, not for use.

@DeborahMakarios, do you felt them, or how do you get them thick enough for oven use? I have loads of wool, I might try this for myself. I’ve never tried wool for potholders.

1 Like

I’m curious about this too! :slight_smile: I usually use a thick cotton yarn, but have a lot of scratchy wool–perhaps I’ve found a use for it! :slight_smile:

I can’t even remember if I’ve made one myself or not; but I think thick wool (12ply+) knitted with smaller than usual needles is the way to go. Or you could use finer wool and sew layers together.
I don’t think the ones I’ve used were felted - you want to keep a bit of flexibility in the fabric for wrapping round pot handle or what have you.

2 Likes

So wool does not burn?

1 Like

According to Wikipedia, “Wool ignites at a higher temperature than cotton and some synthetic fibers. It has a lower rate of flame spread, a lower rate of heat release, a lower heat of combustion, and does not melt or drip; it forms a char that is insulating and self-extinguishing” etc. Good stuff.

I’ve found it a useful way of testing mystery yarns: snip an inch or two, hold it with tongs and put it to a candle flame. If it smoulders and stinks of burnt hair, it’s probably wool. If it melts, it’s probably acrylic. If it goes up like a bonfire, it was probably cotton.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert; please set things on fire responsibly :fire: :sweat_smile:

I seem to recall reading Stephanie Pearl McPhee saying that she (when a smoker) used to burn through her yarn with a lighter instead of cutting it - until the day she was making a cotton dishcloth and had to perform an emergency extinguishment with her cup of coffee.

3 Likes

Thanks! Very interesting.

I made a lot of thick cotton potholders sixty years ago. So far I still have all of them. None have ever gotten a burn mark. The cotton yarn then was a very bulky size. It isn’t made anymore. It was Aunt Lydias brand. I remember being upset when they stopped making it.

1 Like

For gorgeous free snowflake patterns, check out Snowcatcher’s blog (https://www.snowcatcher.net). She posts a free snowflake pattern every Monday.

3 Likes

Ah, yes. I am familiar with those. Gorgeous.

2 Likes

I love her page–I could never get over how many beautiful crocheted snowflakes she made. Each one, unique, just like us!

3 Likes

@DeborahMakarios thats hilarious and scary at the same time!

I seem to remember that the Master Knitter program has you experiment on yarn, but more for blocking rather than burning. I DO enjoy experimenting with different fibers in different ways though, so I may try that out against your disclaimer lol!

1 Like

How do you clean your wool potholders? Seems like that might felt them if they weren’t felted already. (Or am I the only one who gets melted cheese on my potholders?) :smiley:

1 Like