Audiobook Lovers

Any other audio book lovers? I started listening to audio books because I hated to choose between reading and knitting. Now I listen to stories while I knit, cook, clean, drive and garden.

Share your favorite audio books here. I’m currently listening to “Where The Crawdads Sing” by Delia Owens. So far, I’m really enjoying it.

8 Likes

I’m a talk radio addict for cooking, knitting, etc. But love to listen to comedy while I drive. I cancelled my audible subscription when I graduated my children as it was hard to justify the expense without schooling but Sirius plus the library fills the gap for comedy.

Comedy audiobooks I have enjoyed are by David Sedaris and Jenny Lawson. Adult humor. You haven’t lived unless you’ve listened to the Santaland Diaries.

Our public library subscribes to Hoopla, which permits me to download four books monthly. These can be any combination of audiobooks or ebooks. I usually choose the audiobooks, and listen to them mostly when driving to and from work (it’s amazing how much more pleasant backups become when one has a book one enjoys!).

Most fiction doesn’t really appeal to me (although I love Jane Austen, Dorothy Sayers, CS Lewis and Georgette Heyer). I just finished listening to “The Meaning of Everything” by Simon Winchester. It’s not what you might think - haha. It’s about the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary, which took over 75 years, and involved a murderer, class snobbism, highly erudite women who weren’t discriminated against in their work to create this masterpiece, and an enormous number of academics with various odd habits. It was quite entertaining. Before that, I listened to “The Benedict Option” by Rod Dreher (who could have predicted the recent unpleasantness at R).

2 Likes

That sound you hear is me typing your recommendations into Goodreads. The dictionary story sounds wonderful.

Yep, I have been an audiobook lover for probably the last 15+ years.
I listen to romance, mystery, the occasional comedy, etc.
Some current faves are anything by Molly Harper, a book by Chip Gaines and his wife. If you like vampires/werewolves then Kristen Painter does fun little books.

I have over 500 books in my audible library. I commute 40 minutes in the morning and again in the afternoon and have been an audible member for years! I listen to everything, Fiction, nonfiction, YA and now elementary fiction…I miss YA. It is summer so, I get to do pleasure listening. I am currently listening to the latest Shardlake mystery by C. J. Sansom, Tombland. Set just after the death of Henry VIII, and England is once again in Turmoil. Landowners vs Tenants, the role of sheep, and a brutal murder of a relative of the young lady Elizabeth. 37 hours of Steven Crossly!

2 Likes

I love listening to audio books! When I am working on an intense pattern I’ll listen to old favorites otherwise anything goes.

1 Like

I love to crochet, put on my earbuds and listen to the local police scanner.:woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I get all my audiobooks from my public library. I use the Overdrive app.

4 Likes

I just read “Where the Crawdads Sing” for my book club. Beautifully written and great story! That was a traditional book, but I do enjoy audiobooks as well and my family uses Audible and Libby, which connects to our local library. We listen mostly in the car and at bedtime, and I do enjoy listening while knitting when I can get some uninterrupted time. Some of our favorites as a family are the Harry Potter and Eragon series and Lord of the Rings. For me, the narrator contributes as much to my liking an audiobook as the story.

4 Likes

I listen to audio books all the time. I get mine either from the local library, or from Audible or LibriVox. Right now I’m listening to Cities of the Ancient World from the Great Courses. I like these lectures, and I learn so much! When I want a story, I have many favourites, and Michael Innes is one of them, because of how beautifully the books are written and constructed, and also the detective stories by Georgette Heyer.

3 Likes

I use the Librivox app as well as the fanfiction.net app - Librivox has open source books which are read by volunteers - I tend to go back to the Anne of Green Gables series as well as Little Women (the dramatic readings by various volunteers doing different voices are quite good)

on FFN I listen to HP, GOT, Big Bang, etc fan fiction

2 Likes

Ill do audio books from time to time. I prefer to read BUT I love radio drama and there is a lot out there. From old time radio (gunsmoke, Phillip Marloe) to new productions.
But in general I listen to something while knitting.

2 Likes

I use to read books all the time, but then came the kids, and it took me awhile to figure out Bluetooth headphones were a life saver. Now I’m mostly stuck on podcast and youtube videos, but anything I do read I do try to get up on my goodreads acct. I’m surprisingly MOesCrochet there too LOL
I read via a app from the NLS called bard as I am legally blind, but they don’t have options for that kind of reading so typically I just mark it as the published book and not an audio book.

2 Likes

LibriVox is awesome!

3 Likes

You just named some of my very favourite authors! Next in line would be Anthony Trollope, LM Montgomery, PG Wodehouse, and Angela Thirkell.

I’ll have to check out that book about the OED. Sounds riveting!

1 Like

Michael Innes - again, I’ve never met anyone else (until now) who reads his work! Beautifully constructed mysteries indeed, with a sense of whimsy and a touch of the bizarre (rather like Chesterton’s Father Brown stories).

1 Like

That’s interesting, we seem to have very similar taste in books! I’ve never talked to anyone else either (until now) that reads Michael Innes. I really enjoy that touch of the bizarre. Appelby’s End is next in line for a re-listen, after I finish Stop the Press.

I’ll look for Angela Thirkell too, thanks for the tip! The Meaning of Everything also sounds like a book I would enjoy, @Sophy0075 so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

I’ll have to check the Librivox app out. Right now I use Hoopla (Stark Library) and Libby for my local library but I find that the kinds of books I’m interested in are often not easy to find. I don’t feel like I’m THAT picky, but I like short stories, historical fiction that isn’t a bodice ripper.

I’m familiar with Jeeves’ and Bertie’s wonderful author; I’ll check out the others! Thanks.:grin: